Meter Read Registration Custom Code

When constructing/modifying a house/building or when contemplating to build a house/building, the following is required:

  1. Prior to hiring a certified electrician “Installateur” the owner of the house/building should have a site plan.
  2. Hire a certified electrician who is approved by the Department Technical Inspection (D.T.I.). Together with the certified electrician “Installateur”  the required capacity (kVA) of the house/building must be calculated.
  3. The certified electrician will have to submit the required load capacity for the premises.
  4. This information will be submitted to the “Planning/Inspection” department to be processed. The Department of “Planning/Inspection” will advise the certified electrician where the connection point should be installed. The certified electrician  will be informed how the electrical niche (NIS) should be built. The details of the type of electrical niche will be provided to the certified electrician by N.V. Elmar.
  5. Before the electrical intallation of the house/building is inspected and approved, it wil need an official premises address, which is issued by the Registry Office (Censo).


  • Always start on time with the preparations, preferably even before starting construction.
  • Inspection for home/building installations are scheduled on:

Tuesday and Thursday for Oranjestad and surroundings, Wednesday for San Nicolas and adjacent areas.

You can contact Planning/Inspection at any time at the following number (297) 523-7100


Only the department of “Planning/Inspection”, in consultation with the customer/representative is authorized to specify where the connection is to be placed.

What to do after the installation has been approved by D.T.I. and N.V. Elmar?

The owner whose plot of land/house has to be approved and needs to be connected on N.V. Elmar’s network, should visit one of our N.V. Elmar offices with the following documents: Click here to see all required documents.

Take into account that according to our “Terms and conditions”, the house/building will be connected within (5) five working days. Under normal circumstances.

By D.T.I Certified Electrician List

Download the certified electrician list.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I have trouble with my electricity, how will N.V. Elmar assist me?

    In case you are experiencing full or partial outage the customer should make sure that it is not a tripped breaker or a blown fuse. If all of these are working properly you should contact N.V. Elmar at (297) 523-7147 and we will respond to your querie. In case you are experiencing dim or flickering lights, please contact Elmar and we will investigate the issue. If the issue is with your internal wiring you should contact a certified electrician for assistance.

  • There was a power outage in my neighborhood and my appliances got damaged, will N.V. Elmar provide me with new ones?

    According to our connection terms, N.V. Elmar is not responsible for possible damages to any electronic devices as consequence of a power outage.

  • What should be done when the customer is deceased, in order to transfer ownership of the account?

    The applicant must supply the certified death certificate (overlijdingsakte) as well as the valid proof of the official heir of the property, authorization of the majority of heirs and valid proof of indentification.

  • I was involved in an accident and have damaged N.V. Elmar’s property, what do I need to do?

    Call N.V. Elmar immediately and we will assess the damage. We advise to call the police and your insurance company.

  • Can I place: signs, flags or a basketball hoop on a pole?

    For safety and assets protection, it is prohibited by law to add any object to the poles. All foreign objects attached to our poles will be removed.