Troubleshooting Tips

Meter Read Registration Custom Code


  • When doing any sort of yard work, always be aware of the location of any power lines.
  • Do not attempt to trim any vegetation growing near or on any overhead power lines.
  • Only specially-trained line-clearing professionals should work around power lines.
  • Call before you dig near a transformer. When installing fences, digging trenches, installing sprinklers, digging for a septic tank, call N.V. Elmar at (297) 523-7100 at least two business days in advance. N.V. Elmar representatives will come to your site to locate underground equipment or call to inform you that no conflict exists with the dig site. There is no charge for this service. Calling before you dig is good, common "safety" sense and it’s the law.
  • After a storm, when there is any chance of downed power lines, stay clear of all stagnant water.


  • During any home remodeling projects, make sure only certified electricians work to ensure new outlets and wiring are up to code.
  • Check the following eight areas of your home to help make it more electrically safe. Not following these recommendations could lead to an electrical shock, overheating or fire.


Make sure cords are out of traffic areas and that furniture is not resting on them. In addition, make sure cords are:

  • In good condition
  • Not frayed or cracked
  • Never nailed or stapled to walls, baseboards or other objects


Plugs should fit securely, never be forced into an outlet and be the proper type. Never cut off the ground pin (the third prong) from a plug. Use a two-prong adapter instead.


Check outlets for loose-fitting plugs, broken wall plates and overloaded situations. Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.

Light bulbs

Check bulbs to be sure they are screwed in securely and the correct wattage for the fixture. Replace bulbs that have higher wattage than recommended.

Circuit breakers/fuses

Circuit breakers and fuses should always be the correct size for the circuit. Never replace a fuse with anything but the correct size fuse. If you don't know the correct size fuse, have an electrician identify and label the sizes to be used.

Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs)

GFCIs (or GFIs) should be used in any area where water and electricity may come into contact. Test GFCIs regularly according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Entertainment/computer equipment

Check to see that the equipment is in good condition and working properly. Look for cracks or damage in wiring, plugs, cords and connectors.

Water and electricity don't mix

Don't place any electrical appliances near water, such as a sink or bathtub. Appliances that are used near water should be unplugged when not in use. If you have an appliance that has gotten wet, unplug it and don't use it until it has been checked by a certified repair person.

Electrical emergencies

If an emergency occurs, please follow these guidelines:

Outdoor (high voltage) electricity

  • Contact the police and emergency medical services
  • Do NOT touch the person
  • Do NOT try to use a tool to free the person

Indoor (low-voltage/127 Volts) electricity

  • Contact emergency medical services
  • Don't touch anyone who is in contact with an energized circuit
  • Switch off power at the fuse or circuit-breaker box, or pull the plug
  • Call the electric company if you cannot get the power shut off

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I have trouble with my electricity, how will N.V. Elmar assist me?

    In case you are experiencing full or partial outage the customer should make sure that it is not a tripped breaker or a blown fuse. If all of these are working properly you should contact N.V. Elmar at (297) 523-7147 and we will respond to your querie. In case you are experiencing dim or flickering lights, please contact Elmar and we will investigate the issue. If the issue is with your internal wiring you should contact a certified electrician for assistance.

  • There was a power outage in my neighborhood and my appliances got damaged, will N.V. Elmar provide me with new ones?

    According to our connection terms, N.V. Elmar is not responsible for possible damages to any electronic devices as consequence of a power outage.

  • What should be done when the customer is deceased, in order to transfer ownership of the account?

    The applicant must supply the certified death certificate (overlijdingsakte) as well as the valid proof of the official heir of the property, authorization of the majority of heirs and valid proof of indentification.

  • I was involved in an accident and have damaged N.V. Elmar’s property, what do I need to do?

    Call N.V. Elmar immediately and we will assess the damage. We advise to call the police and your insurance company.

  • Can I place: signs, flags or a basketball hoop on a pole?

    For safety and assets protection, it is prohibited by law to add any object to the poles. All foreign objects attached to our poles will be removed.